10.13.2008

obedience

why is it so hard? seriously...why is it so hard to be obedient? everyday, i talk to my three kids (ages 4,3, and 1) about listening...about being obedient...and the importance of it. i tell my oldest, Anika, that i want her to be obedient because, as of right now, i know what's best for her. i tell her that there are things that i see that she may not see...and, so, it is incredibly important for her to listen...to be obedient.

back to the question: why is it so hard? why is it so difficult? and, now, i'm not talking about my daughters anymore...i'm talking about myself. God has laid some things down for us to follow...why is it so difficult for me (us) to listen...to be obedient.

i was tested today...tested on my obedience. money is tight...it seems like in the nearly 6 years that Janice and i have been married there hasn't been a time when it hasn't been tight...God has given us intructions to tithe...to give our first fruits...but, today, i didn't want to do it. i wanted to keep my tithe...there are other things going on financially in my family, and that money could have gone to one of those things...i fought today...i fought my Father...telling Him that i knew best....that that money had more important things to go to rather than Him...i didn't want to be obedient!! i wasn't being defiant - i was simply trying to pursuade God to let me have my own way...just this once...i was acting like my 4-year-old.

then...i thought about this passage of scripture:

“Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated me!

“But you ask, ‘What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?’

“You have cheated me of the tithes and offerings due to me. You are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!" -Malachi 3.8-10

by being disobedient, i would have robbed God...i would have not shown Him that i love Him with all my heart and soul and mind and strength...i would not have honored Him above all else...
i would have not have trusted Him like i say that i do...that's not the kind of example i want to show Anika...

so...i was humbled...and i was obedient...that money is God's...all of it...even the 90% that i kept for my family...its His...so, i decided to give it back to Him.

there are bills that are going unpaid...things that we would like to have that aren't going to happen...but, i have peace. i was obedient. and, instead of just telling God that i love Him and that i want to please Him...this, time, i decided to show Him.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command" -John 14.15

1 comment:

Caleb said...

preach it brother... and show your girls the reality that you want them to live in.

Sincerely,
The MOPS talk guy
Hey, I know what I'm talking about. I do. Really.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones