8.22.2009

a need to get honest

i'm reading No Perfect People Allowed by John Burke and there have been some interesting things that have come up...i want to share an excerpt with you from a section about creating dialogue with those who doubt:

What Would Jesus Do?
The Pharisees of Jesus' day were absolutely certain of all they believed. If asked, they would say they knew God. They knew what he wanted of them with certainty. They followed the Law of Moses impeccably, and they lived within the walls of their religious culture confidently. And those who did not conform to their culture were cast out, unwelcome "sinners." They had a very "us-them" perception of the world. They often boasted about how wonderful it was to be the chosen, compared to those "messed up" people out there who didn't know the Lord. They subtly, and not so subtly, looked down upon and talked down to those who did not hold their beliefs. And rightfully so they thought, because "We have the truth! We are right!" But Jesus scolded them because they wouldn't lift a finger to help those on the outside. They had no genuine love for people different than themselves. Their chief failure was their failure to see that "chosen by God" never meant chosen for merit, but chosen for a responsibility.
Enter Jesus, " friend of the worst sort of sinners!" He, whose culture could not be more different than ours, set aside the culture of heaven to enter the culture of humanity. Jesus adapted to the lowliest class to seek, serve, and save people. He chastised the religious leaders of his day who were unbending with their traditions by quoting Isaiah and saying, "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me'...You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions [religious culture] of men."
And what are the commands of God? Jesus summed them up in two phrases, Love God, love people. Stop and ask yourself as a Christ-follower and especially if you are a leader: How much do I really love those who are not in the family of faith? How willing am I to adapt my cultural comforts to be able to create a culture of dialogue for those who do not hold my cherished beliefs? Am I comfortable if they hang our and question and doubt in our church or in my small group or ministry? Am I willing to admit where I have doubts or uncertainty as well as where I find confidence in Christ? Do I subtly consider myself "better than" or "more together" than those who are not Christ-followers?* Are nonbelievers attracted to my friends and me just as the "sinners" of Jesus' day were attracted to him?

* "For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?" -1 Corinthians 4:7

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones